[mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 04:09:16 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Harry Orenstein <holists at verizon.net> wrote:

> > The best way to figure out which card to use is by chipset.
> >
> > http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html
> >
> > The Silicon Image 3124 looks like one of the best supported chipsets
> > you can get, including Port Multiplier Support in the 2.6.23
> > timeframe; 5 drives on each SATA connector.  Just make sure the
> > chipset is supported by the linux SATA drivers and you are good to go.
> >  For example this one:
> >
> > http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3r5-e.asp
> >
> > Might be interesting, though it is a little bit expensive.
> >
> > Yan
>
> Yan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I had already considered the 3124 but 2 things give me
> pause: it is about 3 times the price of the 3112 or Promise cards (which is
> close to the price of the drive I'm trying to add) and it is only for a PCI-X
> bus, but may work on a standard PCI bus.  My bus is PCI 2.2 and I'm not sure
> if PCI-X on a PCI bus requires PCI 2.3 or not.
>
> But it may end up being my fall back position.

Harry, there are 2 versions.  That one is PCI.  You are right.  It is
the price of a 400GB drive.  However, that model is super fancy with
an eSATA and 3 internal SATA ports.  I'm sure there are cheaper
implementations out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124008&Tpk=SIL%2b3124

Here's one at around the price of a 320GB HD.  It's basically PCI, and
supports a PCI-X slot clocked at 66MHz.  It should work just fine in a
PCI2.2 slot.  I'm sure there are other cheaper cards out there.

Yan