[mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card

Harry Orenstein holists at verizon.net
Tue Aug 21 03:15:20 UTC 2007

> Harry and all,
>
> 	Stay away from the Promise (Maxtor) S150-TX2plus due
> to lack of support (that I have found) for BOTH the PATA
> _and_ SATA ports on this card. This is on the PDC20375
> (SATA150 TX2plus)(rev 02), NON-RAID card. Promise had drivers
> through RedHat 9.0 then Libata took over and didn't include
> the PATA code. I reverted back to RedHat 7.3 since I had it
> handy, works like a charm. Tried Centos 3.9 and SATA worked
> great but no dice on PATA.
> 	From my searches, most say go with 3ware. They support
> Linux better than most manufacturers out there.
> 	I haven't checked performance yet. Will have more
> reading to do to find out how to optimize my aging setup.
>
> Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for following up.  I didn't realize you were going to try to run the
Maxtor cards on a 2.4 kernel Linux.  I'm not sure if that's the best test for
me.  I am currently running a 2.6.22 kernel on FC6, and I think the Promise
support is better than in a 2.4 kernel.  I think I'm going to take the chance
and go for a Promise TX2plus of some variety (Promise or Maxtor).  I'm not
trying to run PATA and the info I gathered from the 'net looks good for SATA
with the card (at least for a 2.6 kernel).

I've seen worse reports for the SIL (3112) and VIA chipsets on the down-side
and I don't want to spend too much.  I guess worst-case if the Promise
chipset fails I'll have to reevaluate (maybe SIL-3124?).

-- Harry O.