[mythtv-users] e: so where can I buy a Cablecard Set Top Box?

Victor Perez spectro at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 01:44:00 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Dennis Lou <dlou99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually, CableCard exchanges signed certs.  If your slot (host) presents
> a cert to the card that is not signed by CableLabs, the card won't talk to
> you.
>
> -Dennis

What I am thinking is to have some manufacturer design a tv capture device
with a pcmcia slot for a POD. This device can work with current ATSC and QAM
signals just as current pcHDTVs or HDHomeruns. The manufacturer ships the
card with a flashable firmware and leaves the implementation of POD
protocols to the open source community, this is key to prevent cablelabs
from pressuring the manufacturer.

Then we can come up with very interesting POD implementations that may be
useful for small cable companies somewhere. Of course the final goal is to
produce a cablecard protocol and getting the certs will require some heavy
lawyering but it is likely to end with the FCC forcing cablelabs to issue
it.

Yeah, I know this is sounding crazier by the minute but you cannot deny is
doable.