[mythtv-users] sudo nice --5 xine Permissions?

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Mon Aug 20 23:17:49 UTC 2007

>I'm experimenting with DVD players that have dvdnav.  Currently xine is
>the front runner but I still get the occasional dropped frame even after
>increasing its buffer size.

>So I want to try increasing its run time priority.  I have a script,
>dvd.sh, that  kicks off xine in the DVD Player field of Myth.  The OS is
>punting because of the "sudo nice --5."  How do I tell the OS that
>anyone can run dvd.sh and they don't need to be root to do this.

I don't know how to do that for the script.

But, perhaps of interest, I set xine to realtime priority to
get it to work well on a busy server. I also set the i/o
priority. "Works for me." (tm)

  chrt --verbose --fifo --pid 10 $PID
  ionice -c1 -p $PID

I suppose you could run a little shell script daemon
as root and look for xine processes periodically...

or if you don't have multiple users to worry about just
allow the owner of the myth process to sudo without a
password, that's in the sudo config file.

HTH

PS chrt and ionice are in the util-linux package.