[mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 03:46:47 UTC 2007

On 8/4/07, Harry Orenstein <holists at verizon.net> wrote:
> This is definitely off topic for this list, but I think that this is a good
> place to ask, so...
>
> I have a MB (Asus A7V8X-X) that does not have SATA ports and only supports PCI
> cards.  I want to add storage to be able to keep more recorded programs, so I
> bought a 500GB SATA HD.  The question is, what is the best SATA chipset for
> PCI?  My choices are either a no-name SIL3112 card, a no-name VIA6421 card or
> a Promise S150-TX2plus.

The best way to figure out which card to use is by chipset.

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html

The Silicon Image 3124 looks like one of the best supported chipsets
you can get, including Port Multiplier Support in the 2.6.23
timeframe; 5 drives on each SATA connector.  Just make sure the
chipset is supported by the linux SATA drivers and you are good to go.
 For example this one:

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3r5-e.asp

Might be interesting, though it is a little bit expensive.

Yan