[mythtv-users] Questions related to Fiber to the home and

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 14:21:58 UTC 2007

On 8/18/07, Justin Dunn <jd2660 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> From what I've read online that only applies to HD Set Top Boxes and I'm
> not going to be using HD.
> I tried googling for the box too before posting this and after posting I
> googed and found my post. That has happened with other topics I've posted
> too, it appears the googlebot is fast about indexing things.
> I just decided to call Scientific Atlanta and the person said all their
> model numbers are 4 digits so I sounds like I may have got the wrong make or
> model from the telco.
> I did ask about a model about for multiple tvs and the person said they do
> have a multiroom model and when I asked about channel changing he said that
> was a problem with the multiroom models (having to change the channel in the
> room with the box even if it was a signal going to another room).
> I think based on what I've found so far I may just stay with the cable
> company as I don't really won't to replace my dual-tuner PVR-500 setup with
> something more complex.
> Justin
>
> > Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:13:27 -0700
> > From: aab at cichlid.com
> > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Questions related to Fiber to the home and
> >
> >>1. The set top is Scientific Atlanta model 303, 403 or 630 depending on
> what you ordered.
> >>3. The boxes have USB but not Firewire.
> >
> > Seems unlikely. Perhaps they don't have fw enabled initially but since
> > the fcc law says cable boxes must provide firewire I doubt SA would
> > build one without it even if the phone company thinks they aren't
> > a cable company. (I tried googling for the box but pretty much only
> > found your post :-)

I have fiber to the house too but it is provided by a local company not
verizon.  They use Amino set top boxes for IPTV.  There is no firewire
output but there is a USB port which could potentialy be used to output the
digital signal.  They dont offer HD yet.  I am hoping when they do offer HD
the boxes will have firewire.