[mythtv-users] Computer freezes trying to watch recordings

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Aug 18 16:40:31 UTC 2007

On 17/08/07, David Meixner <dpmeixner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently installed a frontend in Ubuntu on my laptop and everything was
> working fine.  This week, I moved to a new apartment, and now when I try to
> watch recordings on my frontend, I hear audio for about half a second, see a
> blue screen, and then my computer completely freezes.  I have another
> combined backend/frontend that works fine.  Any ideas as to what could be
> causing this?

Thing you *should* have checked, of course, after a house move, or similar, is
that any cards, etc. haven't become unseated inside any of your boxes. That can
cause "it worked before, it doesn't now" kind of symptoms. Other things to check
are cables which have been left undisturbed for a good while, being unplugged
and getting dust or debris in the connectors during the move, or the connectors
getting stressed from being cramped in a transit box and breaking a conductor or
pin. You get the picture.

Mike Perkins