[mythtv-users] Has anyone tried the new release of LinuxMCE yet?

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:38:12 UTC 2007

On 8/17/07, Brad Patterson <bpatterson at espec.com> wrote:
<snip>
>  Bill,
>
>  So when you say that you need to "have very specific hardware installed",
> do you mean that LinuxMCE
>  will not work with "standard" Hauuppaugge TV tuner cards, remotes, etc.??
> I am really only interested in it
>  from the standpoint of a media center PC, as I don't have any of the other
> home automation stuff in my house.
>  And I am also prettty sure that my existing home theater receiver, dvd
> player, tv, etc will not interface with LinuxMCE
>  anyway, so I wasn't really thinking about those features.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Brad

It supports the hauppauge cards supports lirc.   What I meant by my
comment was the fact that the video shows all these great things
working "out of the box", like dimming the lights, turnning on your
tv, switching inputs on your tv, finding videos on other computers in
your house etc..  Where in all actually, it does not do any of these
things "out of the box".

You'll need a usb uirt to control the tv, cable box, receiver etc..  i
believe.   I read on the wiki that the guy used a USB to RS232
converter to connect this TV and Receiver.   So he's probably
controling everything via serial.  Just adds more confusion to how
everything actually works together.

-Bill