[mythtv-users] Has anyone tried the new release of LinuxMCE yet?

james meyer james.meyer at operamail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:20:37 UTC 2007

href="mailto:bpatterson at espec.com">&lt;bpatterson at espec.com&gt;</a> wrote:
>   </pre>
>     <pre wrap=""> I just watched a demo video for the newest release of
LinuxMCE yesterday,

href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&hl=en">http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&amp;hl=en</a>

href="http://linuxmce.org/news.php?id=9#comments">http://linuxmce.org/news.php?id=9#comments</a>

>  I think that when I get my new myth-box hardware (I am saving $$ for it
> now), this will be the next myth-distro that I will try.....
>

>  Thanks,
>
>  Brad
>

>     </pre>
>   <pre wrap=""><!---->
>
> I tried the previous version of LinuxMCE and I was not impressed at
> all.  Sure it can do all the things the demo video said, even "out of
> the box" if you have very specific hardware installed.
>
> Still, this new version does seem pretty sweet.  I like how it
> supports On Demand, thats a plus.  I may try it again, especially if I
> get some of those zwave light control modules.  I've always thought it
> would be cool to have the lights adjust automatically when a video
> starts/stops.
>
> I wonder if I could install this on a frontend and use my existing
> backend....  If I can, then I may try it.
>
> -Bill
>
>   </pre>
> So when you say that you need to "</font></font><font
face="Arial"><small>have
> very specific hardware installed"</small>, <small>do you mean that
> LinuxMCE<br>
> will not work with "standard" Hauuppaugge TV tuner cards, remotes,
> etc.??&nbsp; I am really only interested in it<br>
> from the standpoint of a media center PC, as I don't have any of the
> other home automation stuff in my house.<br>
> And I am also prettty sure that my existing home theater receiver, dvd
> player, tv, etc will not interface with LinuxMCE<br>
> anyway, so I wasn't really thinking about those features.<br>
> Thanks,<br>

Brad,
I tried the latest version and I was not impressed, in fact I was very
disappointed.   I took one of my mythboxes that uses standard components
(nvidia card, pvr250, snapstream remote) and installed lmce on it.
The "Quick" install took somewhere between 45-60 minutes.  I then spent
another 10 minutes going through the setup screens, wondering when the
autodetect stuff would kick in.  After spending another hour fighting with it
and praying for anything to work, I gave up.  Ten minutes later I had mythtv
installed and i was happy again.
Hopefully your experience will be different.

-jm