[mythtv-users] Has anyone tried the new release of LinuxMCE yet?

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:30:21 UTC 2007

On 8/17/07, Brad Patterson <bpatterson at espec.com> wrote:

>  I just watched a demo video for the newest release of LinuxMCE yesterday,
> and it looks awesome!!  It has some REALLY nice tweaks to the "standard"
> mythtv UI and it also modifies the installation, supposedly making it easier
> to setup and get hardware configured than other mythtv distros.  I was just
> wondering if anyone has tried it yet and what you think of it?
>
>  Here is a link to the demo video:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&hl=en
>
>  Here is a link to the release announcement of their newest version:
> http://linuxmce.org/news.php?id=9#comments
>

>  I think that when I get my new myth-box hardware (I am saving $$ for it
> now), this will be the next myth-distro that I will try.....
>

>  Thanks,
>
>  Brad

I tried the previous version of LinuxMCE and I was not impressed at
all.  Sure it can do all the things the demo video said, even "out of
the box" if you have very specific hardware installed.

Still, this new version does seem pretty sweet.  I like how it
supports On Demand, thats a plus.  I may try it again, especially if I
get some of those zwave light control modules.  I've always thought it
would be cool to have the lights adjust automatically when a video
starts/stops.

I wonder if I could install this on a frontend and use my existing
backend....  If I can, then I may try it.

-Bill