[mythtv-users] Upgraded to .20 fixes (14172), have weird digital TV sound issue

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Aug 16 07:38:26 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/15/2007 06:00 AM, Justin The Cynical wrote:

>> I.e. for AC3/DTS is should open the iec958 device.
>>

> Passthrough output device
>
>> For PCM (stereo or mono) it should open the plug:iec958 device.
>>

> Audio output device

>> Try that.  I'm going to try to test it tomorrow morning.
>>
>> Either way, I've submitted a bug report.  :-)
>
> It's not a Myth problem.  It's an ALSA config/Myth config problem.

Well, my results from this morning:

Changing the default output device from ALSA:Default to ALSA:plug:iec958
worked.  I have sound on all stations and mythmusic going to /dev/dsp is
working fine as well (I may try pointing music to the plug:iec958 for
giggles to avoid that damned Optical Raw setting on the SB Live card).

As for the idea of an ALSA config problem:  I did look at that
possibility as well, but considering I'm running the asound.conf that is
listed in the wiki with a SB Live 5.1, I'm having problems seeing it as
ALSA having the problem and not just Myth.

I'm not claiming to know everything about how Myth interacts with ALSA,
and I have been wrong before, but when I'm using pretty much the
'standard' for Myth and digital sound output, well....  :-)