[mythtv-users] Building a new MythTV box for the living room

Fredrik Hallgarde mythtv at tedde.nu
Thu Aug 16 06:55:53 UTC 2007

Joacim J skrev:

> On 8/15/07, *jedi at mishnet.org <mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>*
> <jedi at mishnet.org <mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>> wrote:
>
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > I am thinking of building a new MythTV box for use in the living
>     room and
>     > therefore need to keep the noise low. I have never used a VIA
>     EPIA card
>     > but
>     > it's tempting to build the system on that.
>     > So we assume that I are building on VIA EPIA platform...
>     >
>     [deletia]
>     > * I have looked at VIA EPIA MII12000, would that be a good
>     choice or do
>     > you
>
>     How well does kind of setup handle h264 video?
>
>     That would be the only thing that might be a show stopper. My A64
>     3500+
>     and X2 3800+ systems have not been able to handle h264 adequately
>     well.
>     Basic playback was possible but navigation didn't quite work.
>
>     Definitely don't skimp on the frontend in terms of looks and
>     noise/heat.
>
>     Otherwise it will be sitting there in front of your face reminding
>     yourself how ugly it is, constantly on a day by day basis.
>
>     A mac mini makes a really cool living room frontend but I don't know
>     if it meets your requirements.
>
>     > recommend other (what do you have)?
>     > * Would that be able to run both frontend/backend?
>     > * Is it compatible with Kubuntu/MythTV?
>     > * Would you recommend CompactFlash or harddrive if a frontend
>     only box?
>

> Thanks for your answers..
> I think VIA EPIA MII12000 have support in OpenChrome since it uses
> CLE266.
>
> From the discussion so far I think the following setup-steps
>
> Step 1 - Configure the server (AMD X2 3800+, 2 GB)
> - Throw my existing Kworld DVB-T card in the server
> - Purchase a new dual DVB-T ( HAUPPAUGE WINTV NOVA-T 500) card for the
> server (in total 3 receivers)
> - Get those capture cards working on Kubuntu Feisty
> - Install MythTV Backend
>
> Step 2 - Configure existing HTPC (home cinema with Kubuntu Feisty AMD
> Athlon 3200+, 1 GB)
> - Install/configure MythTV frontend to the server
> - Evaluate the setup
>
> Step 3 - Setup a new lightweight HTPC
> - Specify the hardware configuration and get it started :)
> - Configuration so far....(until you get me on better thoughts :) )
>   + VIA EPIA MII12000
>   + 1 GB RAM
>   + IDE-CF adapter
>   + 4 GB CF card
>   + Samsung Slimline DVD burner
>   + MCE Remote
>   + Nice looking case

I would consider the SP13000 as it has Mpeg4 accelerator as well as a
Mpeg2 decoder (see the "Comparing the EPIA SP and the EPIA M" section of
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=444#p1628 for details.) it also has
SATA which might be of interest if you ever re-deploy the card for other
use etc.
I would not expect any available Epia card to handle h264 video.

If you consider any other Epia card than your intended MII12000 I must
advice you to read about the chipset support closely, the CN400 in the
SP13000 is fairly well supported and is capable of quite high
resolutions (but does not necessarily have the CPU perf to use it)
whereas CN700 has limited linux support and some other limitations.
> Additional questions...
> - Do you know any good dealers in Europe ( e.g. UK, Germany, etc) for
> this kind of hardware (VIA EPIA, small embedded systems,..). I have
> found http://linitx.com which seems good.

Komplett.no / Komplett.se (Norway/Sweden)
Mini-itx.com (UK)
LogicSupply.com (US) <-- bought my stuff here, not sure if they do
international sales
mini-box.com <-- the picoPSU they sell is very nice!
> - Do you know if it's possible to slow down the DVD reader speed in
> Linux?

Never had the need to deal with it, mine is quiet enough.

Fredrik
(also in Sweden)