[mythtv-users] TMS <-> SD deal makes LifeHacker.com

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 01:39:33 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Paul Kidwell <tmbomber at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
> > Goals are great...but $20/yr is only one possible future.  The reality today
> > is $60/yr.
> >

> I thought y'all might wanna know this...
>
> When I informed my wife that the place where MythTV was getting it's
> listing information was going away, she got all panicky. She was all
> upset that we were going to have to go out and buy a bunch of Tivos,
> or worse yet, go back to VCRs.
>
> When I told her that the MythTV developers were coming up with a
> solution and they'd hopefully have everything fixed before the 9/1
> deadline, she was elated.
>
> When word came out about initial pricing I asked her if she had a
> problem with having to pay a fee. She said "No Problem"...
>
> I had seen this post pointing out the "hoped for" rate of $20 a year
> wasn't a promise, and that the present rate would equate out to $60 a
> year. I thought I better spell out what the projected costs would be,
> and that at present it could be as much as $60 a year.
>
> I asked her what the most she'd pay...
>
> She said, "$20... no $25"
>
> I said, "It's going to be $15 for the first three months."
>
> She said, "Fine, that's only $5 a month."
>
> O_o...
>
> I said, "Hold on,... your willing to pay..."
>
> She cuts in, "$25 a month, To keep using Myth... No Problem"
>
> And I thought *I* was addicted....
>
> Paul

Of course, the WAF is well-documented, but my story is that when I
first started building my MythTV system, my wife and daughter looked
at me as if I was crazy. Why would we need anything more elaborate
than a VCR? Of course, now they are hooked, and even though they have
not experienced the nervousness we all have since the DataDirect
announcement, they are happy to hear the plans for September and
beyond. The current pricing is certainly not an issue, even though it
is not free. For us to switch to the DVR solutions available in our
area would require an upgrade to digital cable plus the purchase or
fees for the DVR. MythTV is still the most economical solution for the
features available, virtually unlimited storage, etc etc.