[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: Internal Player, mplayer or Xine which is prefered?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 23:38:56 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 2. does it work with mkv?
> >
> > Yes, at least in SVN.
>
> it plays mkv, but it depends on many things as I can see. I have a mkv
> with a few subtitles and a 6 channel sound ... Internal gives me no
> sound at all, and I cannot choose subtitles. Mplayer does it all
> without any problems.
>
> I just tested another MKV file which two 6ch AC3 audio streams...
> I can change in OSD menu between these two streams and that is great.
> But both streams are recognized as "Unknown 2ch AC3" although both
> have names (eng,ger) and both are 6ch.

Well, I take it all back.  I went to test the one MKV I have, because
I know it has 6ch sound that played fine before.  Well lo and behold I
have *.mkv files set to use mplayer still, while everything else is on
Default (Internal).  So I tried it with Internal and it played like
crap.  Took several seconds to start (black screen), audio choppy (but
full 6ch if my ears heard right), and very choppy video, especially
when bringing up the OSD.

> I am not criticizing Internal, but Mplayer (and probably Xine) are at
> the moment much better for MythVideo. and much more flexible.

Hard to argue with that.  The nice interface and similar looks of
Internal only go so far.  I'm definitely going to check out the tvtime
interlacing options mentioned, as well.  Who knows, might even waffle
back to xine or mplayer yet again.