[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: Internal Player, mplayer or Xine which is prefered?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:30:20 UTC 2007

On 8/14/07, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
> Hey People,
>
> I recently upgraded from Mythdora 3.2 to 4.0 and have had some issues with
> Xine not playing the audio from some XVID avi's but it is working from
> others all of these are using MP3 audio at 128 bit rate. these worked fine
> in version 3.2 which used mplayer by default I believe.
>
> So this has raised the question which is prefered by everyone for
> mythvideo playback Xine, mplayer or the Internal Player? and what are the
> pros and cons of each? I've looked around the wiki and have not really
> found the information I was looking for.

Internal player has better interface, better key bindings etc. But it
has one big problem: it does not handle aspect rations of videos
correctly. If you have a wide-screen video and a 4:3 TV, it gives some
strange aspect ratio half-way between 4:3 and 16:9. Sure, you can
cycle through all aspect ratios manually and get the right one, but
you have to do it every time you play a movie.

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net