[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: Internal Player, mplayer or Xine which is prefered?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Aug 15 19:28:22 UTC 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 12:21 PM, John Veness wrote:
>> So this has raised the question which is prefered by everyone for
>> mythvideo playback Xine, mplayer or the Internal Player? and what
>> are the
>> pros and cons of each? I've looked around the wiki and have not
>> really
>> found the information I was looking for.

I use the Internal player for everything it can handle.  In my video
collection, that means everything except the RealVideo files.  I like
being able to use all the usual Myth features and controls while
watching videos.  My only real complaint about it is the way it skips
the first few seconds at the beginning and end of the video.  For
most shows this doesn't matter, but for watching short clips it can
be a problem.

For stuff I can't play with the internal player, I use mplayer.
Mplayer will play more stuff, but it has some integration issues.
The key commands aren't the same, for one.  Also, I have one frontend
where the mplayer video plays *behind* the Myth frontend, instead of
in front of it, so all I get is audio and a screen that says