[mythtv-users] Recording/playing back same file via NFS

Craig Courtney craig at dawnsedge.com
Wed Aug 15 14:21:38 UTC 2007

On 8/13/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Mark Lehrer wrote:
>

> >> different recordings. Therefore, I have ruled out bandwidth as an
> >> issue. The problem comes is when I try to view something that's
> >> currently being recorded. It happen with both LiveTV and scheduled
> >> recordings. It happens when I'm near the live TV point or if I start
> >> watching something nearing the end of the recording. I get rather
> >> frequent pauses in the video so that it is unwatchable. Like every
> >> 3-5 seconds. This is even with the master backend recording SD and
> >

> > I had a similar problem (though not quite as frequent).  In my case,
> > the write cache would fill up and write out every 30 seconds, freezing
> > the video for an absolutely unbearable couple of seconds.
> >
> > Take a look at the config values /proc/sys/vm/dirty*
> >
> > If I remember correctly, I just had to turn the centisecs down so it
> > wouldn't wait so long to write out the cache.  I'm sorry, power is out
> > at my house or I could shell in and see the exact values I'm using -
> > let me know if you're interested and I'll dig them up in a few hours.
> >
> > Once you find values you like, you can put them in /etc/sysctl.conf.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Mark
>
> Ahh.. excellent advice and makes sense to what I am experiencing.
> Currently my values look like this:
> [mythtv at mythtv2 vm]$ more dirty_*
> ::::::::::::::
> dirty_background_ratio
> ::::::::::::::
> 10
> ::::::::::::::
> dirty_expire_centisecs
> ::::::::::::::
> 2999
> ::::::::::::::
> dirty_ratio
> ::::::::::::::
> 40
> ::::::::::::::
> dirty_writeback_centisecs
> 499
>
> I've never touched this stuff before. If you could take a peek at
> yours are and post back, I would really appreciate it.

I'm having the exact same problem.  Everything works great as long as I'm
not watching a show while it's recording.  Live TV stutters as well as any
thing listed in green in the library (signifying it's still recording that
show).  I can record 3 shows at once and watch a previously recorded one
with out problems.

Where able to find the magic numbers here?