[mythtv-users] Un-watchable Mythtv

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Aug 14 21:22:47 UTC 2007

jphughes at optonline.net wrote:
> jra thanks for the help
>
> This is a new install and had not worked since being installed.
>
> I tried capturing TV feed and played it back using
> mplayer. The playback was flawless. Recorded programs in MythTV  are jerky as previously described.
>
> By the way I also can’t get it to play a
> DVD, although I can play the same DVD in mplayer.
>
> Under system status it show the Myth version as” 0.20.20060828-4 Unknown”
>
> I will check the log files and see if anything obvious.
>
> While I remember  cpu usage is
> running at 70% with Mythtv is recording . It this not way to high?

Can you tell us your playback settings?

 From the main menu:
Setup->TV Settings->Playback

What is your preferred MPEG Decoder set to?

As for 70% CPU usage when recording, yes, this is much too high.  Have
you run top while recording and identified which process is sucking up
that much CPU?  With a PVR-250 and/or 150, you should be around 5% or less.