[mythtv-users] iPhone remote control for MythTV

Kyle H. Stoneman kyle at kylestoneman.com
Tue Aug 14 17:56:07 UTC 2007

Over the weekend I wrote up a python CGI script and a couple HTML
pages to allow you to use an iPhone as a MythTV remote control, and I
thought you all might be interested in it.

There are two pages for the remote, one has links to jump around
throughout the system (main menu, live tv, video library, dvd player,
play music), and the other has a keypad.  These pages are stored in
the web root on the machine running the mythtv frontend.  Those pages
then use javascript requests to send a get string to a python script
stored in cgi-bin.  The python script then sends the commands to
mythtv via telnet.

The whole thing runs relatively quickly, but if anyone has any ideas
on how to improve it, or ideas of things to add, I'm all ears.  This
is my first foray into development work for MythTV.

I wrote up a longer description online, which also has a link to
download the various components as well as screenshots and a video of
the remote in action.  http://www.legatissimo.info/node/355

-Kyle