[mythtv-users] mac mini sound

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:58:58 UTC 2007

On 8/13/07, Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com> wrote:

> same
> > setup for optical output, but all I get is a clicking noise when I
> select
> > AC3 passthrough.
> > >

> > > Yes - I ticked the AC3 passthrough box under OSX - and it 'just
> works'.
> > I'll check my other sound settings when I get home
> > >
> >  Also, would you mind checking which version of the OSX frontend you are
> > using?  I have heard rumors this is fixed in 0.21, but have not been
> able to
> > find a compiled binary...
>
> OK, Audio Settings on my Mac Mini - on the audio settings:  For 'Audio
> Output Device' I have a blank field - the other options are
> 'CoreAudio' and 'NULL'.  (Sounds strange I know to select the blank,
> but that's what it defaulted to, and works with)
>
> For Passthrough Audio Device I have 'Default' - the other option is
> ALSA:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
>
> For Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough I have it ticked.
>
> Mixer Device is a blank field, Mixer Controls PCM
>
> As far as version - I'm running SVN trunk.  I 'compiled' my own using
> the osxpackager.pl script in trunk.  The script does pretty much all
> the work once you've done a SVN checkout.  None of the pre-compiled
> binaries worked for me since I needed a recent trunk version (my
> backend is on SVN), and the sniderpad binaries didn't work for me (no
> video - someone mentioned they weren't compiled for Intel).

Thanks for your settings.  Yes, these are exactly what I am using (although
I do not get any options other than the blank field for "Audio Output
Device").  But when I tick the "AC3 to SPDIF passthrough", still only a
clicking noise for the digital channels.

I suppose I should try compiling my own.  I have already installed the Xcode
tools.  But I'm not sure I understand the difference between the source in
/trunk and the source in /branches/release-0-20-fixes, since they both have
essentially the same age.  Do you know what the difference is?