[mythtv-users] 1280x768 confusion

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Aug 14 14:07:19 UTC 2007

> Hello,
>
> I am still a little confused !
>
> If I fire up a HD LCD from the DVI-D to HCMI connector, mythbuntu sets the
> mode to 1280x768.
> This is good ... great resolution in fact, however the mythtv menu text is
> not present ? strange.
> I do get the background and icons ... but no text font ... hmmm
>
> If I plug the VGA in - it works a dream, but the resolution is a lot lower

    If you plug the VGA in, you should be able to get the same
resolution as when you're using the DVI cable.

> Can anyone explain what I am missing ?

    There are a number of generic Xorg troubleshooting steps you could
take. For starters, I suggest wiping out your xorg.conf file and seeing
what it comes up with when you're using the VGA input.

    Posting your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file here would also be a good idea.

    Details about your video hardware would be good too.

    It sounds like you are only getting 640x480 out of your TV through
the VGA port. What's the manual say it can handle?

    Mine does 1280x720 and a number of lesser 4:3 vesa resolutions.