[mythtv-users] Broadcast Solution

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 13 10:20:35 UTC 2007

blackhat at disabledveteran.net schreef:
> First, I apologize if this thread is somewhere else in the forum...
>
> I am trying to find a solution for a Veteran's Hospital to schedule and play videos on an internally broadcast TV channel...I've found a free (closed source) broadcast automation system, but it's difficult to use (and not open source).
>
> Here's how my system is set up...I have WinXP on a Dell GX620 with integrated video (Intel 82945G Express Chipset), and a PCI nVidia GeForce MX 4000 with TV out as a second card. I would like to set up MediaPortal to do the following:
>
> Schedule and Play Videos
> Schedule and Show Still Images (with background music)
> Schedule and Display Weather Information
> Keep the menu, controls, and a preview screen on the integrated video card and pipe the full-screen video/image display to the nVidia display...

In our shop we use an ancient P3-650 MHz machine to playback
kids-videos. It runs on linux stripped to the bare essentials, starts up
X and then starts up mplayer (in random mode, but you can just make a
list/script to play in any order you want). No window manager no
controls, just playback...
The machine goes on and off with the lights in the kids corner and never
failed yet. By (wireless) network the machine is accessible if needed.
There was only one occasion when the machine did not start up anymore
when the lights went on.. Searched a while and found out the Bios/CMos
battery was dead.. :-)

Gert