[mythtv-users] Recording/playing back same file via NFS

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Mon Aug 13 03:29:25 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
[deleted]
> I can record SD and HD on the machine that writes to the NFS share and
> view HD either streamed from the backend or from the NFS share at the
> same time as long as what I'm recording and what I'm viewing are
> different recordings. Therefore, I have ruled out bandwidth as an issue.
> The problem comes is when I try to view something that's currently being
> recorded. It happen with both LiveTV and scheduled recordings. It
> happens when I'm near the live TV point or if I start watching something
> nearing the end of the recording. I get rather frequent pauses in the
> video so that it is unwatchable. Like every 3-5 seconds. This is even
> with the master backend recording SD and the frontend trying to play it
> back with no other activity between the machines.

[deleted]

What's your storage setup like?  How many and what types of drives?
LVM, Storage groups, RAID?

It sounds like you may have more than one drive, and as long as you
record to one drive and watch from another drive, your fine.  But if you
are accessing the same drive by simultaneously watching the same
recording as you record it, you may be going beyond the limits of what
your single drive can deliver.

Usually a single drive can do this.  Maybe you have an IDE drive, and
DMA is not turned on?