[mythtv-users] ANSWER: Can only connect to mysql as localhost

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sun Aug 12 22:34:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, August 12, 2007 2:55 pm, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 12/08/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:
>> I solved the problem. Basically, the #@!%$# mysql wildcards just don't
>> work. However, when I properly add each IP address to the grane
>> (mysql.user) table, everything works.
>>
>>  grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@'192.168.100.30' identified by
>> 'mythtv';
>
> Good to hear things are working now and my final suggestion from last
> week of granting privileges for individual hostnames/IPs is helping.
>
> Please post the output of
>
> mysql> SELECT Host, User FROM `user` WHERE `User` = 'mythtv';

No can do. I seem to have screwgied my access to the mysql data base as
root. And I just don't have the energy to fix it now.

> It would be interesting to see what the user table looks like, now it
> is finally working for you. I also note that you have used different
> network addresses in your posts (192.168.1/24 and 192.168.100/24) and
> wonder if this was deliberate.

Oh, yeah <blush> I get this silly idea that there might be more security
in munging my home net's addr, like a cracker can't try 255 variations. My
real security is at the firewall, and if they mess up my myth box ...
well, after all's said and done, it's still only TV.

> Finally, in one of my posts from last week I posted my current mysql
> user table which included wildcard addresses for both network name and
> IP, so I am surprised that is still not working for you. I do run a
> local DNS on my home network, but apart from making it simple to add
> new machines to the network and add machine aliases, this should not
> stop things from working. Which version of mysqld are you running?

Just the way it worked. I've seen so many syntaxes by now: "%", "_",
x.x.x.0/255.255.255.0, use the quotes, don't use the quotes ... if they
all worked, I wouldn't have had to post. But they all apparently worked
for someone somewhere sometime.

> --
> Nick
>
> MythTV Official wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/
>
> "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
> Franklin

Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer