[mythtv-users] FINAL ANSWER: Can only connect to mysql as localhost

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sun Aug 12 22:26:14 UTC 2007

Still needed some tweaking, and I want to record it for the lists:

1. Needed to grant privileges on the BE IP addr to root in mysql. Yup, to
root. Donno exactly why, but mythbackend was complaining about not being
able to connect to the database at startup. I thought root could do
anything, but apparently mysql doesn't agree.

2. Needed to hand edit all 3 .../.mythtv/mysql.txt files (/, /root, and
/home/mythtv) to change "localhost" to the IP addr. Apparently the setup I
was running didn't reach everywhere.

Remote myth FEs are working now, and my wife is back on board. "Let's see
Tivo or the Cox Box do THAT!" I said proudly. The ability to get the kids
up in their own rooms w/o fighting over one TV (even with time delay) is
awesome. Kids don't get time delay; they want it NOW.

Thanks to all who helped me and all who developed this wonderous program.