[mythtv-users] Resurrecting old lirc pauses issue

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sun Aug 12 14:15:32 UTC 2007

Phill Edwards wrote:

[deleted]

>> Have you ruled out your IR receiver or remote control?  Can you try a
>> different receiver, different serial/USB port?
>
> I really don't think it could be this as others are getting exactly
> the same symptoms.

Yes, I read the other thread that was referenced and saw that others
were suffering the same or similar symptoms, and agree that it would
seem unlikely to be the hardware. But I would still not rule it out.

But consider this - all of us using lirc are using pretty much the same
exact lirc software.  (OK, maybe some have slightly newer versions than
others) Even if you consider the different combinations of kernels and
distros we all use with lirc, I would submit that the differences in
lirc software among us are smaller than the differences in the hardware
that we all use with lirc.  In this set of software combinations, we
have a relative handful of users reporting intermittent problems, as per
the aforementioned thread.

On the hardware side, you have not just the remotes, but different
commercially made IR receivers, serial or USB, and all the different
homebrew lirc receivers.  Even if you just consider the seemingly common
homebrew lirc-serial receiver listed at lirc.org, there are many
different combos of resistors, ICs, capacitors, soldering and assembly
skills, etc. used in constructing these.  No two will be exactly the
same.  (OK - almost no two.)  This larger combination of possibilities
to me represents a more likely source of a problem.  It seems like one
possible explanation for intermittent operation could be a bad solder
joint, or overheating voltage regulator, or other flaky hardware component.

I hope I don't come off as preachy - I'd just hate to see you go down
one road and not consider the other path.  Besides, the sooner you can
get rid of this pesky problem, the sooner you can start enjoying your
mythtv, right?

--
George