[mythtv-users] mac mini sound

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Aug 12 09:04:29 UTC 2007

On Aug 12, 2007, at 1:09 AM, David Campbell wrote:

> I have a mac mini as a FE  - it's great however I'd like to get better
> quality sound from it.  Currently I just use the line out into my
> LCD TV
> - anyone got better solutions?
>
> Dave

Are you running the frontend in OS X or Linux? I use a Griffin iMic.
I imagine any USB audio device would do the same thing, but the iMic
has good OS X support. It doesn't improve the audio a ton, but when
I've used the line out on a mini I have (not with MythTV, but I
imagine it's the same issue) I can hear the hard drive spinning on
the analog audio line. The USB audio of the iMic makes that stuff go
away. And it's a cheap solution to try and see if it helps.

The mini has optical on the audio jacks so you can look into using
that, but you would need to have something that can decode the
optical audio coming out like a receiver with optical input. Also, I
don't know if it's support in the linux drivers. It might just be OS X.

-Brad