[mythtv-users] 3-D UI for Myth, PNP installation, new LinuxMCE

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Aug 12 08:54:44 UTC 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 11:18 PM, Paul Huber wrote:

> So to be specific, since I use the UI daily, I think that where
> LinuxMCE's UI could be improved is:
> 1) Find a way to get the same benefit without buying an expensive
> remote.  Something like a scroll wheel that could be added to
> existing remotes for less than $1 may have more traction than an
> expensive gadget like a gyro.
> 2) The aesthetics and general polished feel of LinuxMCE's UI could
> be significantly improved, and it could use a good theme artist.
> 3) For small granular tasks, like just turn the volume up 1 notch
> or step back 1 frame, it's easier to have a fixed button than use a
> gestural movement.  This was my biggest complaint with the air
> mouse.  That new remote addresses that by having both a gyro and
> normal buttons, but it's a niche product and very expensive.  I got
> mine for free :).
> 4) The text is smaller, particularly on the main menu since you're
> allowing room for all 6 submenus rather than just 1 at a time.
> 5) The heavy use of alpha blending is, I think pleasant looking
> because it makes the media be the prime focus and the UI is more
> subtle and doesn't take away from the media so much.  But, when the
> media has text too, such as when the credits are scrolling by at
> the end of a movie, the alpha blended menus are hard to read.
> 6) To use LinuxMCE's UI with a gyro control of some sort there's a
> learning curve and it takes hand-eye coordination.  Nobody gets it
> right away, and I don't think older people will have an easy time
> with it.

I have to ask, do you use the UI on a television from across the
room? I know my eyes aren't great so I appreciate a large easy-to-
read display. Blending reduces visibility. You call is subtle. I call
it having to squint when looking at it across the room to read what
it says. Small text on my display is kind of a nightmare. If I ran it
on my laptop (like most people saw the demo) I think it would be ok,
but trying to squint to read which menu I'm on is not my idea of a
pleasant UI experience. I was curious so I downloaded the movie and
played it on my 42" 1080p LCD. While sitting on my couch, there is no
way I could ever navigate without really straining my eyes. I think
blending is pretty, but belongs in my lap, not across the room. I can
only imagine how bad it would be on a standard def TV.

The colors are bad, too.. but that's just personal opinion. Making
them my favorite color wouldn't help. :)