[mythtv-users] Could not connect to the Master Backend Server --

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Aug 12 03:36:10 UTC 2007

Wow, how bad can things break after a simple yum update?

Long story short:

My Master Backend is running in my network.  FC-5, running the last
kernel, and the last MythTV from ATRPMS (20.1-158).  I just spent most
of the night getting it running again for sure.  I had some problems
with it not coming up right after its last re-boot.  IVTV screwed things
up.  I ended up solving that first (I wasn't getting any sound in any of
my recordings, I ended up removing and modprobing IVTV again to fix
that!).  Then I was dealing with my MythTV setup having too many tuners
(I have 2, for some reason there were 3, and the 3rd, number "4" was
bogus.  Took me forever to delete all of my capture cards and then set
up the 2 I have again.)  When I finished, I could finally connect on the
backend machine with a frontend client and watch live TV.  I now have a
recording ready to record at midnight.

So, I go back to my laptop with a frontend only.  It was working really
good before the last FC-6 Mythtv update from ATRPMS )20.1-161).  I
finally did the update, then removed mythtv-backend and mythtv-setup as
this is a frontend only machine.  Since then, I've been unable to
connect to the mythbackend from the laptop.  I get the pop-up box which
says:

Could not connect to the master backend server -- Is it running?  Is the
IP address set for it in the setup program correct?

AFAICT, the IP address for the backend server is correct, and doing a
telnet mythbackend 6543 connects to it.  Furthermore, I can connect to
mythweb just fine from the laptop and view the Status page which tells
me things are running fine on the server.

So, why can't I connect to the server from mythfrontend on the laptop?
Anyone have a good ideas?  I'm plum out!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net