[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Aug 11 19:43:10 UTC 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> I'm not sure it's entirely that, though, Brad...
>
> Just a *whole* lot of CDs are played through transducers into
> environments where there's actually *more* music on a CD than you can
> reproduce.  If you really *have* a room and speakers that make it
> worth
> it, you can get CDs and players that are close to up to the task --
> and
> with SACD, are up to it.

Media aside, I've heard the different between 48-bit, 96k and 16-bit,
44k files played on the same Pro-Tools system with professional
Genelec studio monitors/subwoofer. The difference is clear. You
simply can't get any better than 16-bit, 44k on a CD. :) SACD and DVD-
A are close enough to the original where I can't tell the difference.
I can't tell the difference between 2" analog tape and SACD or DVD-A
quality either, but someone with trained ears can.

Back to my original point, since 98% of music recorded today is
originally recorded as digital (or more - I'm pulling that number out
of my head, but it's an educated guess after being at many audio
industry conferences and talked with a lot of people about it), a
digital file is the final format. When consumers are ready to receive
digital files, you'll see all the people in between start to
disappear. That's why the labels are trying to yield control over
digital files and finding that due to the nature of the format, they
can't. They know they will be out of business because of this latest
media change.