[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Aug 11 19:07:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 07:42:40AM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> I'm not quick to knock CD's. I live with a producer/recording/
> mastering engineer and have a studio in the house. I thought CD's
> were just fine until I heard an original 96k 48bit recording, then
> heard it on vinyl, then on CD out of the same monitors. I was pretty
> amazed. I had been listening to CD's and MP3's for several years and
> forgot how music was supposed to sound. Now that I've had that
> comparison, I hear the low quality all the time with digital music
> and I don't have especially good ears. (No, I can't tell the
> difference between 48bit 96k and analog tape. They sound exactly the
> same to me.) I know it sounds elitist, but CD's are a far cry from
> what you're supposed to be hearing. It's a shame consumers have been
> taught to settle.

I'm not sure it's entirely that, though, Brad...

Just a *whole* lot of CDs are played through transducers into
environments where there's actually *more* music on a CD than you can
reproduce.  If you really *have* a room and speakers that make it worth
it, you can get CDs and players that are close to up to the task -- and
with SACD, are up to it.

Cheers,
-- jra