[mythtv-users] MythWeb - Mix SVN & Package?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 11 18:09:12 UTC 2007

Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> William Munson wrote:
>
>> Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have just finished a full rebuild of my machine after some nasty
>>> things happened. This time I used the packaged version of Myth from the
>>> Fiesty (Ubuntu) packages and only now realise that MythWeb is not the
>>> same as I had. The packaged version seems to have less functionality
>>> than what I had Friday (things like the "Currently recording" display in
>>> Recorded Programs).
>>>
>>> My question is, can I use the SVN version of MythWeb on my Fiesty
>>> package install? I really miss the extra bits...
>>>

>> No. You will have to build and install the entire package. It is really
>> simple to be able to build from source with ubuntu so don't feel its
>> beyond your abilities. If you have questions ask away, I will try to
>> help. You are probably going to need to do your own compiling to get the
>> shedulesdirect code at the end of the month so plan ahead.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Hi Bill
>
> Bummer :) I missed a bunch of recordings yesterday and SWMBO had a hissy
> fit, not to mention the kids. I built the last install from code and it
> worked out OK but I remember having issues (which I am sure you helped
> with at the time). Can I have both versions on the machine while I
> perfect things?
>
> Oh, and I won't need the schedulesdirect code, I am in Australia and use
> the wonderful Shepherd script.
>
> Cheers
> Bruce
>
> _

The databases are not backwards compatible so in order to have two
copies available you will need to save your existing database, upgrade
and play/perfect the install and if you want to go back, delete and
restore your backup at the same time you load the package version.

The big "gotcha" for installing SVN on machines running package versions
is to compile with the:

 ./configure --prefix=/usr <your options here>

command line rather than allowing the default of /usr/local for the prefix.

To include the packages you need to build

apt-get build-dep mythtv