[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 01:43:25 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> The fear is that once you go to a digital file, there's no up-sell
> from there. And they're right. This is the last format you'll need.
> Finally.

No; MP3 is still lossy compression (and an arguably obsolete one at
that).  They can keep upgrading the codec a few more times, then later
offer a "remastered" 24bit/sample 96khz version some day, plus 5.1
channel surround, then 7.1 channels, etc.  Probably that's how they
justify the un-DRMd MP3s - it's not the same as buying the CD.  I
certainly never think of downloaded MP3s as the "last format I'll
need".  When I can buy the CD for the same price (or less) compared to
the whole collection of those 99-cent tracks, I'd rather do that, and
rip to FLAC.