[mythtv-users] Can't get usb iMon VFD working on Silverstone LC16M case

Bob maillists.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 01:01:31 UTC 2007

On Saturday 11 August 2007 12:20, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 11/08/07, Bob <maillists.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The best place to look for answers is http://venky.ws/projects/imon/
> > > but...

> > > I've never hot-swapped my VFD. Power down the machine, plug it in, and
> > > restart it.
> > >
> > > lsusb should show a device with a vendor:product ID of 15c2:ffdc -
> > > this is the VFD. I see no  mention of the manufacturer in the output
> > > or anything else to readily identify it, this information was garnered
> > > from previous investigation.

> > > I'd be worried if it didn't show up in lsusb _at all_. Have you got
> > > the relevant driver installed (standalone or LIRC-enabled)? I don't
> > > remember seeing any output in the syslogs on boot, but then the box is
> > > never rebooted...
> >
> > Yeah, I originally I was trying with it plugged in at boot time, if I
> > boot with just the VFD plugged in (to a known good port):
> >
> > # lsusb
> > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> >

> > I _think_ I've got the right drivers, lirc-0.8.1 and lcdproc-0.5.1, but
> > # modprobe lirc_dev lirc_imon
> > # lsusb
> > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Just to make sure, have you got the separate power connector attached
> to provide power to the VFD? This is needed in addition to the USB
> connection.

I've got the motherboard power extender plugged in, the 3-wire power line
running off of that plugged into the VFD.  I've also got the 2-wire power
switch inlined to the motherboard header.

I can actually power up the box using the iMon remote that came with it.  And
off if I'm lucky enough to press the button just long enough.

> You should see output on the VFD whenever the power is
> connected.

Hmmm, I've never seen a single photon come out of it.  Do you get some output
on yours even if it's not connected via the USB?

I think that would confirm a dead VFD, or dodgy power connection I suppose.

Bob