[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 10 16:30:33 UTC 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 10:03, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2007, at 8:55 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> >> From: Brian Wood
> >>
> >> I'm not sure how they are going to measure trhe piracy rates,
> >
> > Yea, that was the part that bothers me.  There simply isn't any way
> > they
> > could measure the affect.
>
> They're going to measure it in sales. If sales go up, less people are
> pirating. I know that's not true, but they will pretend it is. After
> all, increasing sales is the only thing that matters. "We had 500,000
> customers last quarter and 600,000 this quarter. 100,000 less people
> are pirating music." rather than saying, "We encouraged 100,000 more
> people to buy our music because we actually put out a good record."

I could argue that piracy is responsible for increased sales. People hear
a "pirated" track, decide they like it and go out and purchase a CD or iTunes
file.

You have to figure out whether the "pirate" would purchase the material if
he/she couldn't "steal" it. If the answer is no then any effort you expend
trying to stop the "piracy" is totally wasted, and possibly
counter-productive.

But the RIAA types would NEVER concede things like that.

--
BEWW