[mythtv-users] The Status of MythTV on the PS3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 10 14:00:41 UTC 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 07:04, Steven Adeff wrote:

> Are you able to get BluRay playback from within Linux and thusly within
> MythTV? If MythTV runs well on it for HD content and it's easy to play
> BluRay then I'm sold and will join the BluRay camp. I'll relegate my LCM16
> setup to my bedroom.
>
> What's the boot-into-Myth time? I see no problem in turning it off
> when not being used.

I think you mis-understand me. I'm not running Myth on the PS3. I'm running
Yellow Dog Linux, Terrasoft's PS3 version. I am able to play HD files using
mplayer from the command line.

Linux on the PS3 does not give you access to the hardware video acceleration,
you can only access the video output as a frame buffer device. Playing HD is
a brute-force affair, pushing both main cores above 60%, (no way to tell what
the subsidiary cores are doing) and turning a lot of moving electrons into a
lot of heat.

I did try accessing a Blu-Ray disk from Linux with no luck. This is likely due
to the "advanced" content protection of the disk, I suspect if you had a
non-protected BR disk you could access the data on it, but that's only
speculation at this time.

I'm hoping to get time to play with the PS3 some more, but with school
starting again in a couple of weeks...

--
BEWW