[mythtv-users] Adding another backend, and moving the master server to it?

Paul paul at whitecitadel.com
Fri Aug 10 10:10:34 UTC 2007

Dear helpful list,

I have done a search on the archive, and looked around the Wiki but I
still cannot decide the best way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

(all machines are at same level, 20.current.atrpms stable)

I have an existing master backend on my small server that does
email/web/database the usual house stuff, with 2x DVB-T cards in it.

I have just built a new machine that is in an Antec Fusion case under the
TV, that will become my fixed front end, but also has 2x500GB disks in for
storage (server has small disk capacity, well available to Myth anyway).

I need to make the new server a backend as well as it will be getting a
DVB-S card shortly for satellite.

I will be keeping the two backends, as I do not have enough PCI slots in
the new machine for all the cards, and I also have dedicated feeds from
the TV aerial to the cards in the existing server making reception good.
If they went under the TV they would need to be split form the same feed
which would affect some of the weaker channels.

Questions:

1. Is there an easy way to move the database and main backend onto the new
machine? (it has a Ahtlon X2 45w CPU, and is much better suited to
commflag than the 1.7g celeron in my little server, more memory too).

I have read some wiki and list articles, but nothing is clear, I assume I
do  a backup/restore but will this retain commflag and recording details
completely? (assuming I copy files to new video location as well as DB
restore) and is there any manual hacking of tables to replace references
to the old host name with the name of the new machine? (apart from
settings table obviously)

2. Should I leave things as they are and upgrade to 0.21 with storage
groups to allow me to add the new space into the current system?

All thoughts advice appreciate,

Paul