[mythtv-users] LiveTV blank screen with remote backend

Grzegorz Krugły gk at karko.net
Fri Aug 10 08:29:56 UTC 2007

>> Are there any error messages in the remote frontend's logfile when you
>> start LiveTV? I would also check the logfile on the backend as well at
>> the moment you start LiveTV on the new frontend machine.

At the backend inside /var/log/mythtv/ is an empty current log file
(it's size is 0) and some very old rotated logs.
At the frontend there's no /var/log/mythtv directory at all.
Can I increase logging verbosity somehow?
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/187982#187982

Thanks for the link but I'm not sure if this information applies to my
case. I believe I'm just using MythTV protocol to stream video from
backend to frontend. I don't have any NFS, SMB or CIFS mounts (yet). I'm
a little confused - does MythTV require setting a shared directory for
remote LiveTV? How come it all works in "Watch recordings"?

If I need to read some HOWTO or FAQ (I've googled around to no avail)
please point me in the right direction.

My setup is as follows:

BACKEND MACHINE (strong CPU, lots of RAM, hauppauge PVR-150 card, ubuntu
feisty with mythtv backend and no more used frontend, no network shares
for MythTV)
FRONTEND MACHINE (weak but cool CPU, enough RAM, no TV card, mythtv
frontend only)

When I run the frontend at the backend machine, live tv works. At
frontend machine everything works (EPG, watching recordings, etc.)
EXCEPT livetv.