[mythtv-users] Getting all channels with EIT (Freecom DVB-T USB)

monstermunch monstermunch at fmail.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 23:24:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm using Mythtv 0.20 on Feisty Ubuntu and I'm having trouble with EIT and
getting all my channels tuned. My TV tuner is a Freecom USB DVB-T (dmesg
says "WideView WT-220U PenType Receiver (Typhoon/Freecom)"). It works
perfectly in Kaffeine; scanning finds most channels and I get a good quality
signal for each channel along with EIT guide data.

Here's what I've tried (with EIT linked at my video source) in mythtv:

1) Scanning all channels. I pick up most channels but when I go to watch TV,
none of the channels will lock and EIT gives me nothing.

2) Creating a channels.conf file from my local transmitter and importing it.
I get most channels with good reception but the EIT guide picks up nothing.

3) Importing channels.conf, deleting all channels and scanning all
transports. Same results as 1.

I found this post from someone with a similar problem to me with the same
stick:
www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/archive/o_t/t_5450/mix_n_match_usb_tv_with_eit_sandyheath_fixed.html

The last part says:
"This is how I 'cured' it

 from clean
 scan for channels using channels.conf

 go to channel editor
 select stick, delete all channels
 scan again using known multiplexes

 For the box this works, for the stick we require another step:

 click 'transport editor', select stick.

 at the top are the channels.conf [(0)(0)(0)]
 at the bottom are the scanned channels from the air, using the reported
numbers.
 modify the frequency numbers at the bottom to match the numbers from the
top (i.e. some will need rounding) "

After importing channels.conf, deleting channels then scanning transports my
"Transport editor" screen looks like this:

 490000000 Hz (0) (0) (0)
 ...6 more like this with different Hz but (0) (0) (0) at the end
 634166670 Hz (0) (9018) (4156)
 ...5 more like this with different Hz but (0) (9018) (these are different)
at the end

EIT and watching TV fails if I try with these settings. However, if I change
the 6 frequencies at the end to match the first 6 of the 7 ones at the top
that have (0) (0) (0) at the end, EIT then works and I get most channels but
I'm missing a bunch of them. When looking at my channels.conf file, I find
that the missing channels are on the frequency that I couldn't add (there's
7 top frequencies and only 6 bottom ones so I had to miss one out). I tried
the "Add new transport" button to add it but it didn't work. I suspect it's
because it has the (0) number instead of (9018) one but I don't know how to
change this. I'm really not sure what it is I'm changing or why it works to
be honest.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? There seems to be
something broken about scanning with my stick but I should be able to work
around it by adding that last frequency properly.

Thanks.