[mythtv-users] almost OT: wishlist for SD: European listings

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Aug 9 21:57:05 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Contrary to North America we poor Europeans have too many fragmented
> national networks - just look at xmltv's collection. I hope there are
> listing concentrators in Europe SD will be able to make a deal with
> (please make sure Greece is part of their listings ;)

We'd already talked about offering to host the data that the Swedish
users collect directly from their local stations (no TMS needed), and
doing similar things for other countries shouldn't be too bad.

As others on this thread have said, the biggest concern for SD would be
that we have no idea how big of a market there is for this stuff outside
of North America.  Labs was able to give us actual numbers of users,
which helped us negotiate a decent contract with TMS.

TMS licenses their Canadian data from a third party, which makes it
likely that they do the same for their EU data.  It also makes it less
likely that they can offer SD a good discount like they did for the US
data (which they did so that we could afford both the US and Canadian
data feeds together).

I'd love to be able to provide data to users in other countries, either
through stuff purchased from TMS, or even just hosting xmltv-formatted
files legitimately gathered from approved sites as is done in Sweden.
We'll just have to wait and see, though.  No one knows how many MythTV
users there are in the world, which makes it hard to figure out if there
are enough in any given location who would be willing to pay even a
small fee for data.

-Chris