[mythtv-users] The Status of MythTV on the PS3

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:25:23 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Charles Mason <charlie.mas at gmail.com> wrote:
> For me this is pretty stable now - although still not 100% - and
> feature wise is about 90% there - just want to improve the
> deinterlacer(s) and add accelerated osd blending. Otherwise the main
> issue is sound drop out which I don't think is a mythtv issue.
>
> I doubt I'll spend any signifcant time on the ps3 stuff until
> mythtv-vid is merged into trunk though.

> It makes an excellent frontend -  and don't forget effortless setup of
> hidef modelines, which can be painfull via nvidia etc. It's also worth
> mentioning that the upnp functionality on the game-os seems to have
> improved significantly since it was first released.

Thanks for the info. Soon hopefully I will be getting a decent HD flat
panel and baneshing my noisy myth backend to the loft. I was thinking
about potentially building a quite sleek frontend to go with the new
tv, and connect to the noisy backend. However the cost of building my
own is going to be similar to a PS3 and as I said the PS3 plays Blue
Ray and not forgetting games too.

We don't have any HD over DVB-T here yet and there's not much
interesting HD content available free to air on DVB-S either yet
(although that's likely to change). So it would be mostly SD playback
which it sounds like the PS3 is just about up to. I will check back on
the status of it as I get closer to owning one. May be even try to
help improve it when I finally get one.

Thanks again for the info.

Charlie