[mythtv-users] The Status of MythTV on the PS3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 9 18:44:46 UTC 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007 11:05, Charles Mason wrote:
> I have been reading the Wiki and lots of mailing list posts about
> progress on getting the Myth Frontend running on the PS3 under Linux.
> The Wikis page on the subject doesn't seem to have been updated lately
> and a search of the dev mailing list reveals little PS3 related posts
> of late. So I was wondering what the current status of it was.
>
> There's plenty of evidence that VLC can handle HD on the PS3 so surely
> its just a matter of similarly optimising the MythTV on the platform.
> I was wondering if any one had any experience of recent SVN builds on
> the PS3 for either SD or HD viewing?
>
> Before anyone says just try it. I don't currently own a PS3, although
> I am thinking about it. It strikes me as a frontend it has lots of
> potential, attractive case, fairly quite, HDMI, and not to mention
> Blue Ray playback (although you would need a reboot to reach it). Not
> only that its fairly good at playing games too. All for the same price
> as a decent set top Blue Ray player. So on paper at least its got
> potential.

I agree with you to a point.

The drawbacks are the PS3 draws a LOT of power (mine idles at 205 watts, pulls
more when working).

Also, for the price, I think you can get a better F/E, unless the Blu-Ray and
game capability is important to you.

I was able to play the HD version of Elephant's dream quite well with mplayer,
but I'm using the PS3 to do video transcodes, as it is faster than my FX60
system at that. I just access it via ssh, pull the files to transcode off an
NFS server to the local hard disk, transcode and put the file back on the nfs
server.

But I just couldn't resist such a nice toy, especially since TerraSoft
Solutions is only an hour's drive down the road.

--
BEWW