[mythtv-users] "Ultimate" MythTV remote setup?

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Thu Aug 9 14:58:15 UTC 2007

OK my wife has thrown down the gauntlet - get an easier-to-use remote
setup or get rid of the entire home theater setup.  Has anyone out
there found the ultimate remote control for a setup like mine?

What I have currently:

TV, receiver, Dish PVR, MythTV - normal operation requires 2 remotes
plus RF keyboard for Myth.

What I would love:

1 remote that can work for normal day-to-day operations - easy enough
that an Amish person can figure it out.  I don't mind breaking out the
keyboard or unit-specific remotes for things like configuring
speakers, or mythtv command line settings, but nobody other than me
should ever have to do this.

Any ideas?

I don't mind replacing any or all equipment that I have, for example I
think most of my devices only have a toggle for on/off, which makes it
completely impossible to keep power in sync for the TV and receiver.
Also, my 1st-gen HDTV has a VGA & component input, so it may not be
possible to find a receiver that can handle video switching properly.
This requires a remote that I can program.  My Sony "universal" remote
doesn't do DVR well at all, and switching components requires holding
the button in for like 5 seconds, not really user friendly.  Of
course, a remote that requires me to buy Windows in order to program
is not acceptable.

Thanks,
Mark