[mythtv-users] xbox receiver and remote

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:28:27 UTC 2007

> Just wanted to state that I had excellent luck getting the xbox dvd receiver and remote to work with mythtv.
>
> I followed the doc at http://www.redcl0ud.com/ir_wiring.html to cable in a usb port to my old (laying in the closet) dvd (ir) receiver from my old XBox. BTW -- I am a horrid solderer... I just soldered the usb cable (from an old broke mouse) onto the leads that plug into the xbox since I wouldnt be using the receiver again on the XBox and it was easier since the connectors are so large.
>
> I plugged it into my Fedora 7 box and it was recognized by the OS and the HID driver was loaded. LIRC also supports it.

This got me thinking. I currently have a serial port infra-red
receiver and I'm having problems with it (as are others - you get some
really annoying pauses and to work around it you have to hack the IR
source code. Euch!)

Could I buy a USB infra-red receiver and continue to use my existing
remote control? This might be a good work-around. What about these
sorts of things on eBay -
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-1-1-Infra-Red-IrDA-1-3-Wireless-Nokia-LG-Data-Suite_W0QQitemZ250141391545QQihZ015QQcategoryZ44961QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PC-USB-IrDA-Wireless-Infra-Red-Infrared-Adapter-New-NEW_W0QQitemZ120061651883QQihZ002QQcategoryZ44961QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would these work on my FC5 box? Would I have to do any nasty fixes or
would it be as "easy" as getting serial infra-red working?

Regards,
Phill