[mythtv-users] Device File and X Issue

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Aug 9 02:13:34 UTC 2007

Michael Starks writes:

> I posted this to ivtv-users a couple of days ago but didn't get any
> useful feedback yet.  Sorry for the cross-post, but I have a system down
> issue and the WAF is rapidly declining!

> I recently switched from Fedora Core 4 to Centos 5 (a clean install, of
> course).  I didn't have an issue with Fedora but I can't seem to get X
> to display on the TV using the PVR350 out.
>
> The first and maybe only problem seems to be that I don't have a proper
> device file.  There is a PVR250 and PVR350 in this machine, but only one
> seems to be recognized, as demonstrated below:
>
>  [root at moya ~]# ls -l /dev/fb?
> crw------- 1 root root 29, 0 Aug  6 13:53 /dev/fb0
>
> I tried to create the framebuffer device like so: mknod /dev/fb1 c 29
> 32.  That worked, but it disappeared on reboot.

Do you have the saa7127.ko kernel module, and is it loaded? There were some
issues with some Fedora kernels -- and it might've made its way to CentOS
kernel.

With some kernels, I recall that saa7127.ko module wasn't getting
automatically loaded, for some reason.  Manually modprobe it before loading
ivtv-fb.ko.

With other kernels, saa7127.ko wasn't even built, for some reason. In those
cases, you'd have to grab video4linux, build just the saa7127.ko module, and
install it.