Mark Oliver mark_oliver at java2000.com
Thu Aug 9 00:54:07 UTC 2007

Robert Current wrote:
> On 8/8/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>
>> I think what bothers people is the fact that you're already
>> complaining about the shortcomings of a service that you don't even
>> know anything about yet.
>>

> I'm at a loss here.  Ask a question, get called a complainer.  Then
> suffer by getting essay after essay of why people shouldn't complain,
> written by people who can't seem ton distinguish a question from a
> complaint.
>
> Complaints don't start with "who, what, where, when, and/or why" and
> they don't end with question marks.  Questions aren't FUD.

Questions and complaints are not necessarily distinct.  The tone and
rhetoric included in and around questions can be either intended as OR
received as a manner of complaining.  Also, questions are not
necessarily devoid of information and can sometimes be (mis)leading.

That aside, you are also acting as if all you did was ask a question,
but that is not the case.  While you have asked questions, those have
been couched in lengthy and numerous posts that have come across (for
the most part and in my humble opinion) as not only negative but also
combative (and, in some instances, derogatory).  That may not have been
your intent, but the people on this mailing list are reading your posts
not your mind (if in fact they are even reading posts in this thread
anymore).  Obviously, different people will have different opinions on
your posts, but the important factor there is that they will have
opinions on your posts not just the questions you ask within those posts.

Also, since you do have some questions regarding scrapers and
alternatives to schedulesdirect, you may want to think about searching
the archives:  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/   Both of
those topics have been discussed at length on this mailing list before
yesterday.

mark