Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 8 21:55:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 03:11:15PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > Hmm.  Still not sure what "commercial products" means, but it must be
> > software?  Software grabbing listing data, packaged in a different
> > way, then sold to someone?
> >
> I believe some people were selling MythTV (and other PVR) boxes for
> profit with everything installed and a user account created.

I'm entirely unclear on how that matters.

TMS's stance was "we want to know about each individual 'customer'
because that information has value in itself", or something very close
to that.

I can't quite see how they lose that, unless these rumored commercial
providers were selling multiple boxen with the *same* customer ID
configured in them.

a) That wouldn't be practical because yuo'd have lineup problems.

2) It would probably be pretty easy to spot in the logs statistically,
and should have been fairly easy to turn off.

But until we get *real* answers instead of handwaves, we can't tell,
and speculating seems ... unproductive.

And we likely won't ever get real answers.

Wev.

Cheers,
-- jra