[mythtv-users] Which distro for new system?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 21:11:21 UTC 2007

>From: mythmail at gmail.com
>
>I'm going to have to second Gentoo.  I had two frontend/backend
>systems running on Fedora (4 I think, maybe 5).  They were relatively
>solid but I had a few assorted problems with the rpms/repos and
>eventually there just weren't any updates available, also, you end up
>installing lots of stuff that has nothing to do with MythTV.  Then I
>decided to take a leap of faith and try Gentoo.
>There definitely was a learning curve going from Fedora to Gentoo, but
>there's tons of excellent documentation on setting up MythTV on
>Gentoo.  When you're done you have a lean mean MythTV without any
>extra cruft that you pretty much never have to touch, except maybe
>"emerge -uD mythtv" if you want to update.  Also, after going through
>all that, I feel like I understand better what's going on under the
>GNU/Linux hood.

I have to agree.  I tend to hesitate recommending Gentoo for a new myth
system for someone not already familiar with Gentoo (I was already a Gentoo
user for almost 2 years before building my Gentoo frontend/backend), only
because of the potential Gentoo learning curve.  However, I have to say,
building my mythtv system went incredibly smoothly with Gentoo.  Gentoo
seems to be one of the last distros you see recommended for mythtv, but I
really think it's arguably one of the best for the purpose.  I was glad to
see others here bring it up.

Right now the latest stable Gentoo ebuild of 0.20.1 is SVN 13344 and it's
really solid.  I made my own customized copy of that ebuild with a few
patches I wanted, which is really quite easy to do and well documented.
Frankly, most everything about Gentoo is well documented and the forum is
awesome.

And yes...you can really end up with a very lean system.

Tom