Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 8 16:56:55 UTC 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Braindead wrote:

> There are plenty of free places to get the information all in one
> place.  TVGuide.com, some others that have been mentioned here.
>
> I think you're missing the point by assuming there's anything on TV
> that I want to watch bad enough to pay for listing services.  There
> is not.  If these broadcasters want my eyes on their shows, I'm not
> paying for it.  Simple as that. I'll miss the data only for the
> simplicity of recording the couple of shows that we watch on
> occasion.  Manually scheduling them will cost me nothing.
>
> I'm sure I'm not the typical MythTV user...

You clearly don't need listing data. Take a look at what's on, make
up your own XML for the couple of shows you watch and import it using
mythfilldatabase --file. Too much work? Set manual record schedules
like "record this channel at this time every week" and you're done.
Much easier than all the effort you've put into the emails you've
sent to this list.

No one is forcing anyone to pay for anything. MythTV will happily
function just as it always has whether you pay for listings or not,
but it is your responsibility to tell mythtv what to record. For most
users, it's a lot of data and worth paying for the service to
continue to get a list of EVERYTHING that's on and available for them
to record. You have no need. Plus, this means you don't have to deal
with PayPal. Double-bonus. Can we stop talking about credit card
fraud in the "supporting schedulesdirect.org" thread now?