[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver for Harmony remote

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:43:14 UTC 2007

On 8/8/07, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
> Are you sure this last sentence is true? My understanding was that the
> IR receivers just pass the signals they receive to the computer and the
> magic numbers in /etc/lircd.conf allows the lirc daemon to identify
> which remote button has been pressed.

Yes, I'm sure.  There are different IR protocols (not sure if that's
the correct word) and the  Hauppauge receiver recognizes a subset of
Philips IR codes.  It's been suggested to try Philips brand remotes
(say, VCRs) to find more remote IR code.  There's even a full
supported list out there, somewhere.  Your understanding is correct,
but there is some variance in what certain receivers understand.

>  > So I'm limited until I pony up for a new
> > receiver,
> Before you do this please test your receiver by programming your Harmony
> as a different remote and using the corresponding /etc/lircd.conf.
> Please post the results here. I think that many readers would be
> interested if the Hauppauge receiver is not a "universal" receiver.

Already have. Ran "irw" and got nada.